Milliman’s claims consultants bring decades of claims management and consulting experience to evaluating our clients’ claims operations. Our services combine technical assessments of claims handling with broader management concerns. We generate recommendations that address the entire scope of our client’s policies and practices.
Our claims consultants help clients by:
- Lowering loss and loss adjustment expense costs through increased efficiency and implementation of best claims handling practices.
- Providing support and testimony in the context of commutations, arbitrations, and litigation.
- Assisting actuaries with estimation assumptions and techniques.
Wide range of services, comprehensive assessments
Milliman’s clients include primary and excess insurers, reinsurance companies, third party administrators, self-insured companies, and others in the alternative market. Our claims consulting expertise is as varied as our clients’ needs, from establishing a case reserve on a catastrophic loss to valuing a claim operation in connection with an acquisition. Milliman’s claims services include:
- Comparison to best claims handling practices and identification of opportunities for improvement
- Independent estimation of case reserves
- Specific identification and valuation of tail claims in long-term lines of business
- Assisting actuaries in the selection of loss development factors for high severity, low-frequency lines, and exposures with minimal statistical history
- Expert testimony and litigation support regarding claims operations and industry best practices
- Due diligence on claims operations related to mergers and acquisitions
- Assisting insurers and policyholders with resolving issues involving retrospectively rated policies and large deductible plans
- Detailed inspection of claim files to ascertain technical claims handling performance
- Evaluation of claims policies, procedures, and processes
- Review of staffing levels, use of outside vendors, workloads, spans of control, hiring, and compensation policies
Milliman’s detailed reports and exhibits assist companies in evaluating their exposures, setting case reserves, assessing the use of outside resources, and resolving claims effectively and efficiently.
Milliman claims consultants evaluate tail claims to help determine the reasonableness of selected tail factors. Using state-of-the-art proprietary software, our claims consultants produce cash flows for specific sets of claims on a claim-by-claim basis to assist in evaluating payout patterns developed using traditional actuarial loss development methods. We evaluate case reserves and cash flows for very large sets of claims (in excess of 50,000), ensuring that estimates are performed consistently as of a common valuation date. Our software also allows our claims consultants to evaluate excess insurance policies with actuarially-correct present value calculations by layer.